Friday, March 28, 2014

Weekly Pick: The Great Gatsby


This week, The Great Gatsby with Leonardo Dicaprio and Carey Mulligan has added to HBO's movie list.  It made for a great start to my week. I had only seen the movie once before and didn't really pay attention. So this time, I gave the movie my full attention. Baz Luhrmann's version of the F. Scott's Fitzgerald's most well know book is very interesting. I can see why some people don't like the movie at all considering the rap music playing over scenes of 1920's dancing and parties. I, personally, like the mix of contemporary music and historic dress and setting. Leonardo Dicaprio is an excellent Jay Gatsby. He really embodies what I thought Jay Gatsby would act and look like. The only thing that I was a little put off by was that Luhrmann added a extra bit about Jay and Daisy having an affair. I feel like it was unneeded. Otherwise, The Great Gatsby will be added to my list of favorite period dramas. The scenery and costums are beautiful. It's really beautiful movie to watch even if you aren't a fan of the book.  

No comments:

Post a Comment