Monday, April 27, 2015

Monday Meal of the Week: At Home Burrito Bowl


Mondays are going to be dedicated to food!  Sometimes it will be healthy and sometime not so much.
This week, the feature is a healthy at home version of a burrito bowl. Burrito Bowls are my favorite thing from Chipotle. I started making them at home about a year and the best part is that they are budget friendly and delicious! They are perfect for making ahead and can be stored in the fridge for a couple days. I like to have mine with a glass of lemon-lime infused water. You are going to need to following: 

- Romaine Lettuce
- White or Brown Rice
- Half a Lime
- Cooked Shredded Chicken
- Can of Corn
- Salsa
- Peppers and Onions (I used the Traders Joe's Fire Roasted Peppers and Onions from the frozen section. 
- Can of Black Beans (if you want, I personally don't always include them) 

The hardest part of making a burrito bowl at home is cooking the chicken and the rice. I used white rice this week but you can use whatever grain you like. I, normally, make enough for 4 lunches so I made 1 cup of rice but you can make as little as you want. I cooked the rice following the instructions and added the juice of half the lime at the end for a little flare. For the chicken, I cooked 4 skinless tenderloins in the oven for 30 minutes at 375 F. I seasoned mine with taco seasonings before putting in the oven. I allowed both to cool for about 30 minutes before getting to the fun part: assemble!  

Once you have cooked the rice and chicken, it gets easy. I line up my 4 jars and all my ingredients. I start with the salsa on the bottom and build from there. It's up to you want order to put your ingredients in! I like to put the heartier things close to the bottom and leave the lettuce and rice for the top. You could add sour cream or shredded cheese but I was tried to cut down on the fat content of mine. I also think this would be great with avocado if you weren't making these ahead of time. 

Please leave a comment or picture if you make this at home! I would like to see your take! 





No comments:

Post a Comment